Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Classic anime collectible review! Ban Dai's decade old Anime Collector sets, featuring Big O, Escaflowne, and Outlaw Star!

I saw Thor Dark World yesterday, and it was pretty solid. I hated the first Thor, so I didn't expect anything, but what i got was a Star Wars rip off with Norse Gods instead of Jedi, and Dark Elves instead of Sith. It was a solid 7/10, and extremely stupid and pretty. They had a trailer for Captain America : Winter Soldier attached, and it was one of the best trailers I've ever seen. My friend and I honestly contemplated walking out, as no movie short of Transformers or Pacific Rim could compare to that trailer.
                                                                                                                                                    

     Kids today won't believe it, but back in the anime boom we had anime merchandise fucking everywhere, From Toys R Us, to Wal-Mart,to Suncoast/ Coconuts to Babages/ Electronics Boutique (later bought out by Gamestop/ Funcoland) including import Gundam models and Dragon Ball Z figures. It was the greatest time to be an anime fan in America. There were even figures created specifically for the North American market, like Todd McFarlane's 3D anime, All those Irwin and Jakks Pacific Dragon Ball figures, and Ban Dai's anime collector series.

          Some of the figures in Ban Dai's anime collector series are the only figures of said characters, like The Outlaw Star set being the only figures of Gene Starwind, and Melfina, The Escaflowne set has the only figures on Van and Hitomi, and the Pilot Candidate set has the only Pilot Candidate figures in existence( though who would want anything associated with that turd?)  They figures are somewhat rare, they sell for at least five times their retail price on ebay these days, sometimes more. Luckily I maanaged to snag the Escaflowne and Big O sets, and add they with my Outlaw Star set. Now it's time to R R R R REVIEW!

With ass grabbing hand!

Melfina loves to dance.
  I've had the Outlaw Star set the longest, so it goes first. I think there might be a kit of the Outlaw Star ship out there, but good luck tracking it down.This set comes with pretty decent statues of Gene and Melfina. They're kind of lacking detail, and the paint isn't particularly sharp, but it's this or nothing.The most detail is on Gene, his Caster Gun and belts. I with Gene had come with his cloak, but they probably decided everyone buying this was more interested in the ship.


   The XGP or Outlaw Star is the best part of this set. It's a perfect representation of what was seen in the anime, and has moveable grappler arms. Awesome!I with it had come with axe and blaster add ons, but what can you do ? Included is a stand for the ship, but the peg on mine snapped off. I ghetto rigged it with blue sticky tack.
  Still, I loves sets like this with the main characters, and the main ship. I'll give this set an 8/10. If you love Outlaw Star, it's this or nothing, and I love me some Outlaw Star!
  Next up is Escaflowne! I know there are a few better Escaflowne figures out there, but I'm not dropping over a $100 on it. Definitely not when there are cheaper alternatives like this! These are the only representations of Van and Hitomi, so why not buy it ?

  I think the paint job is a bit better on these two, despite being plainer figures. The colors they use are more vibrant, though the main detail is on Van's Sword and his pant wrinkles. Hitomi isn't bad, but nothing other than her bow stands out for me. Still, you take what you can get.

   Escaflowne is of course the main selling point, and he looks great. Solid details, great sculpt, bad ass sword, and a nice paint job. The issue is the arm articulation. The shoulders are set up so he can barely raise or lower his arms without them popping out of the socket. So don't except any cool poses with this guy. He can store his sword in his cape though!
 It can't transform into a Dragon, but I knew that when I bought it. Still this isn't a bad set overall. I give it a nostalgic 7/10.

  The Big O set I bought last week, and it came in the package. All sorts of nostalgic feels emanating from this package. Time to destroy it and get to the figures!
We can dance if we want, we can leave your friends behind!

  The sleek black paint on these two is perfect. Other than than that, they're kind of plain, especially in the faces. They are anime accurate, so the transition to 3D is most likely to blame. Unlike the other two sets, there are figmas for both of them. I'm not that much of a Big O fan, so these will do.

  Big O is the best part, a much better robot figure than Escaflowne. The pose ability is pretty good, especially from the era, and he looks great. The head my look small, but I think that's how it was in the Chinese cartoon. It even comes with extra hands! Oh shiggity!
Big O can bust a move all night long!
  Big O has much rpicier alternative available, but I'm not that much of a fan. This set if perfect for nostalgia fags like me. I'll give it a 8/10. So to wrap it all up, Gene Starwind Figuarts or Figma when ?  Fucking Scryed and Big O got them. Goddamn Japan and it's poor taste. Oh and I bought a Kiritsugu figma. It'll show up here eventually. It's still in the homeland, with my massive order from amiami.








No comments:

Post a Comment