Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Ohayocon 2014!

So apparently the new Fate/Stay Night adaption is an original work ? WTF ? Where's my Unlimited Blade Works Full version bitches ? I do hope it follows the route of Shirou becoming Archer, that would be sick. Still, not doing a full adaption of all three versions ? Why do they do this to us fans?
                                                                                                                                                   
    The last con I went to was Otakon in 2012. Going with Satan during the end game of our relationship was a horrible mistake, and an expensive one. Still, I wanted to head to another one, and Ohayocon was the best choice. I asked two of my friends, I'll call them Tommy and Mark for the sake of Anonymity to come, along with my brother. My brother had work, but my friends usually had the weekends off, so they had no legitimate excuse not to come. They aren't particularly into anime, but I'm convincing when I have to be. So we were all set to come to head to Ohayocon when Mark got off work at 7. I was packed, and ready. 

    That was until at 3.30 I was at school finishing up a group project, and Mark texted me saying he got off work early, and was heading over to my house. Oh noes! I told him to wait half an hour, so I did 80 mph home. I still arrived ten minutes late, but things like that can't be helped. I texted Tommy to get his shit in gear, and he told me he couldn't be ready til 5. So Mark and I head to Taco Bell to try their latest offerings, and kill some time. Tommy texts me again, saying that he's now doing laundry. Mark and I kill some more time getting energy drinks and milk at Speedway, and we just head down to Tommy's house to tell him to hurry up. Eventually we arrive after getting lost, and Tommy tells us he forgot to wash the shirt he needed, so he put it in a jar with water and detergent.Then he took  ten trips to get all his stuff out, which included multiple bags of pork rinds. Gross. He was killing me.
 

 We begin the long ass ride down to Columbus (we live in the north) and it took three hours. I got to experience pissing in a port o potty in sub zero temperatures, an experience I won't forget. We finally arrived at the Red Roof Inn, after the registration for the day had closed. We ended up hitting up the bar where Mark bought us drinks, which were awful. I think they were called Twisters ? Mark was high by this point any way, and we watched snow boarding. We made fun of the camouflaged snow boarder, saying he was from Mark's hick hometown. We went back to the hotel room where I tried to hoop up my laptop to the Flatscreen, failed, and put on Family Guy. Mark and I called the beds, while Tommy ended up on the air mattress that needed to be re inflated every two hours. Needless to say, none of us slept. Well except Mark, he has drunk and high enough to get decent sleep. I hadn't slept the previous night either, good thing I had all those energy drinks in stock.

    The Red Roof Inn had a free breakfast, which was pretty mediocre. I ate a half frozen bagel and some tiny muffins, while my bros ate the gross hard boiled eggs. We made fun of a neckbeard that attempted to make oatmeal and spilled the entire packet on the floor before awkwardly shuffling away. The angry Jamaican women who worked there had to clean it up, grumbling all the way. We finished our food, and returned to the hotel room to mentally prepare ourselves to steal all the ice on every floor and turn out bathroom into the castle from Frozen. Actually to run from our building to the convention in subzero temperatures. I was the only one sane enough to wear a coat and gloves.

   There was a decent line by the time we went to register, but we only waited 20 minutes or so to get through it, while I sent Mark off with my phone to take pictures.  The coolest of which was a man in a game boy costume that actually played Tetris, impressive. We wandered a bit til the dealers room opened, taking pictures and what not. Then the dealer's room opened, and I was underwhelmed. I'm so use to the prices online the ones there were horrid, and many of the figures were bootlegs. I walked away with an two Asuka figures, both from Evangelion 3.0, and a Play Arts Kai Leon. Leon was the same price as I'd seen on Amiami, so I caved. I did over pay on the Asuka figures, but that's life. I was tempted by a Mair Figure, but I just found it and bought it for $15, compared to their $40 at the con. Suck is scalpers!

     We headed back to the hotel to change into our costumes and eat. Tommy into his Link, Mark into his Iron Patriot, and me into my Iron Man Mark 42. As soon as we walked into the convention center, we were mobbed constantly for pictures. I kind of felt bad, since we bought our costumes at Wal Mart, and others there worked really hard on theirs and we did not. Tommy felt left out since he basically became our bag carrier when people would be taking pictures. I attempted to take pictures while wearing gloves and repulsors, so many of my shots are iffy at best. The outfit did look good, though pissing was a huge problem. I had to take off both gloves, the repulsors, the vest, and the top of the outfit. I'm making a pee hole with a knife if I ever wear it again. Tommy went back to the hotel while Mark and I continued walking around taking pictures and getting ours snapped. We saw a really good Iron Man with working electronics and a helmet that came down on it's own. He shamed us of course by taking a picture with us, I kid, he was a pretty cool guy.

     There was also a cheerleader competition, and the moms and their daughters loved us. We had to have gotten our pictures taken at least 50 times by them alone. It was pretty flattering. Soon it was time to hit up the Fate/ Stay Night panel because I am a huge fan. There was an admin from Beast's Lair (The translators of the visual novel) who put everyone their to shame. If she had been more attractive, I would have attempted to get to know her. We could have talked about Archer the whole night after! Anyway Mark and I were sweating to death in the suits, so we headed back to the hotel to get Tommy. He had been playing Pokemon Y the whole time, and enjoying his billion street passes.  We cleaned up and headed to the Rave.

  I had told Tommy and Mark the Rave wouldn't be like their normal fag club faggotry. They kept talking about nothing but getting with chicks, which pissed me off. We, well I was there to have fun, not try and bang chicks I didn't know. Plus they kept calling the girls ugly, which further enraged me. It's odd, I usually hate people, but I do feel a sense of camaraderie with anyone at an anime con, regardless of gender. It bothers me when people talk shit about my people. It's not their fault they are largely unattractive, they might be really cool people.Tommy and Mark got bored with the rave, and of course they went to the bar. I ditched them because I was there to be a weirdo, not drink like a normal person. I ended up going to watch Psycho Pass, which sucked, and headed back to the hotel room. I passed the time watching Carnival Phantasm on my phone.

   Tommy and Mark came back and couldn't work the room key, so I had to get up and let them in. I tried to sleep when they came back, but couldn't. I eventually passed out around 2 a.m.  The next morning I felt better, because I slept five hours, the most sleep I had gotten since Thursday. It was freezing when I woke up,  since both of them had been waiting for me to turn the heater one, lazy fucks. I showered and we headed down for another crappy free breakfast. We packed after that, checked out, and took the luggage out to Mark's car. I sprinted to the convention after, I was losing feeling in my legs and face. I think it may have been the fastest I ever ran, which was amazing because I ran in slush while wearing boots.

    We twiddled away the morning buying Japanese snacks in the comic shop located in the hotel basement,  since apparently my blog needs more food reviews or something.  Next was a final sweep of the dealer's room, and time for a Pokemon panel. Mark and Tommy at least knew Pokemon, enough to enjoy it. I learned there was a Pokemon live show, I have never heard of that before. Tommy traded for some Pokemon there, and despite buying over 100 raffle tickets, we did not win what the guy was auctioning off for charity. Booooo. Afterwards was a YuYu Hakusho panel, complete with Justin Cook himself. It was hilarious, and cool to learn how many of the Funimation voice actors are true bros for life. Now it was time to head home.

    The roads in Columbus were awful, like they hadn't been plowed since Friday. It was great Mark drove, since my hoopdi would have had problems. We made decent time, only stopping to get burgers from Five Guys and once to get gas. I wanted to hit up Grandpa's Cheese Barn, but no one else was in the mood. We dropped off Tommy, and then Mark took me home. I thought I was tired, but I felt so much better to be home. The weekend fun continued onto Monday and Tuesday due to my classes being canceled. All in all Ohayocon was pretty fun, I just wish they had better panels. Now here's what you really want from this blog, the pictures!
























































Funny story, I thought this guy was Travis Touchdown, with the wall scroll being his light saber.

































Not mine, but awesome

/cgl/

Awesome, but not mine

Not mine

Not mine

Fuckign sweet, but not mine.


An agent Coulson took a selfie with me as Iron man and gave me this. She was a bro.

No comments:

Post a Comment