Saturday, September 28, 2013

War for Cybertron Optimus, Fall of Cybertron Optimus, and FOC Ultra Magnus. Attack of the repaints!

   Since I have an hour to kill, and a new Transformer to complain about, its review time! Yay! Yesterday I received in the mail War for Cybertron  Optimus Prime. A bad ass looking robot, but one of the most miserable Transformers I've ever had the misfortune of shifting into truck mode. Read on young bloods!

   I've posed him in truck mode next to the over sized bootleg, since why not ? Unfortanately for me, the toy came in robot mode from the guy I bought it off ebay from. So after a half hour of ham handing, swearing, and repeatedly tossing him on the couch, I managed to get him into truck mode. Something I will never do again. The bootleg shifts the same way, but the larger pieces make it easier to do. That being said, he's still a cool looking truck, though definately worth the effort to get him into such a state, He looks like a dulled down version of his in game model, but still a solid little space truck. Some people complain he looks like a shoe, but I believe its more of a combo of truck and sports car, with its streamlined appearance.


   Robot mode of WFC Optimus is really freaking cool. I mean look at this hulking mass or robot awesome! Especially when you compare him to the lamer scaled down FOC Optimus. A buff man robot chest, great detail, and a hell of a presence. He's extremely fun to have nearby and fiddle with . This guy is solid, and impressive. It almost overrides my hatred towards his mass shifting into his other from! Almost! I love his gun, it has detail and heft that recent offering are severely lacking.


   Even from the back this guy looks cool. His wheel appear to be wings,  and the hood is a back pack for delicious energon snacks, or jAm. I give War for Cybertron Optimus a 7/10, deducting a point for the dick punching transformation. If you never plan of transforming him, give him an 8/10!



  As you can view in the comparison shots, War for Cybertron Optimus is much more imposing than his Fall of Cybertron counterparts. At almost half the size, he looks like he should be Bumblebee or something. The paint even has more of a flat look, and the guns look like mego block rejects or some shit. Mine has two guns, as ultra Magnus came with one, but I decided he didn't need the guns with such a bad ass looking sword. I suppose FOC Optimus is okay, I did get him for cheap on clearance somewhere. I pity anyone who paid full price, this guy shows the cut backs that Hasbro makes on their toys in full glory. So do this little bumper car become an O.K. robot ? Let's find out!

 I use this comparison shot to show how tiny FOC Optimus is comparatively. He looks like an average person compared to Arnold in his prime- the WFC Optimus.  His transformation is extremely simple, which is nice. He does however look like he's shrugging.
   His outward jutting torso also give the appearance of a beer gut, where in the game model it worked better, as Optimus was portrayed as a hulking warrior. The paint is kind of meh, the Takara version has a much nicer look, but who's paying three times the price for this, other than weaboos of hardcore Trans fans ? My final complaint is the head looks small, which is my main complaint with robot Revoltechs. Though this may just be me. All in all I'll give him a 5/10. Nothing spectacular, but could be worse.
     Finally here's the superior repaint of FOC Optimus- FOC Ultra Magnus!
   The first thing that stands out about this guy is the sword. That is one sweet looking weapon, no two ways about it. He can use that bad boy to cleave Deceptions in half like a boss. Next is the Striking paint job- red, white, and blue! American colors! The blue is especially a nice, shade- I want to dye my hair that color. I feel this mold does the FOC Optimus one justice, it feels more like an Ultra Magnus than Optimus. Still, if only they had reworked the WFC Optimus for Ultra Magnus, we may have gotten something better. The bumper car comment still applies however, you can paint a Mini cooper any color, and it's still a lame ass car.
    What a beautiful looking robot! Magnus has a new head naturally, and it's pretty cool. The paint scheme I loved in truck mode carries over, and the sword looks even better in his hand. The red Autobot symbols looks spectacular over the blue. Way to go Hasbro!
     These guys can pull off some awkward looking poses, due to their massive legs. They aren't top heavy at least, so they aren't as likely to fall. Despite being a recolor, Ultra Magnus is a solid step up from FOC Optimus. I give him a 7/10.

 War for Cybertron Optimus- 7/10
Fall of Cybertron Optimus-5/10
Fall of Cybertron Ultra Magnus- 7/10

I guess I'll round up the three non Bruticus Cybertron Deceptions and bang something out. Expect War for Cybertron Megatron, Fall of Cybertron Shockwave, and Fall of Cybertron Starscream. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment