Monday, September 16, 2013

Don't toy with my heart like this Sunrise!

    Here's the relevant picture before this rant begins:
Does this man look familiar ? Damn skippy he does- That's our beloved Emperor Lelouch! Or is it ? Thanks to Sunrises trolling it may or may not be my beloved Lelouch. I certainly hope it is, though I can only fathom that this is a trick to get Sunrise to get people to watch their shitty OVA series Akito the Exiled. I have a huge boner for Code Geass in case you couldn't tell, and even I couldn't make it through five minutes of Akito's faggotry. It felt like the most generic Gundam rip off ever created.

    That's not to say that I don't think Gundam has been driven into the pavement and the piece melted into junkyard art. Gundam 00's first season was okay, the second season was the adventures of Ore wa Gundam and his sidekick, that annoying kid from season one. Seriously every episode of that shit was Gundam 00 riser winning every battle with minimal effort. The only redeeming factor of it was the final battle with Ribbons (voiced by Amuro Ray's VA) in his Reborns Gundam, fighting Setsuna in his Exia. But even that couldn't redeem that shit fest of a series. Gundam Age was so bad I couldn't even make it through an episode, even with Turn A Gundam I got through 3 episodes before plowing through its shitty compilation movies just so I could say I'd seen it. I use to love Gundam, even Seed Destiny. What happened Sunrise ? Did Code Geass R2 really burn up all your creativity and resources, so much so that you can't manage to churn out something remotely watchable ?

    Sunrise use to be my go to Anime studio, spurred by my early love of Gundam Wing, Outlaw star, and my absolute favorite anime Mobile Fighter G-Gundam, I saw them as the pinnacle of anime. I use to just search studios online and check anything Sunrise did. They did some seriously cool shows in the 90s, Chouja Raideen, Brave Express Might Gaine, Brave Fighter Dagwon, Gundam X,Big O, Escaflowne, and everyone's favorite Cowboy Bebop. The 80s weren't too shabby either with Ronin Warriors (fuck you, this is what I call it) City Hunter,  Zeta Gundam, even ZZ Gundam is better than its recent offerings of generic crap. I guess Tiger and Bunny was a 6/10, but mostly because I dug the character designs and premise. It was poorly executed in my opinion. Oh wait, a quick check of MAL reveals they do Gintama! Fuck yes, I loves me some Gintama. Still it's an adaption of an existing manga, not an original. Where is my Geass and G Gundam sequels Sunrise ? You are dead to me til such an event passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment