Friday, February 20, 2015

Master Grade Gundam X! Or How I learned to love the Satellite Canon


     I don't know if I've ever touched upon it here in my ramblings, but I've always had a soft spot for Gundam X. I loved the theme songs, and the Double X design, which was recently announced as a Master Grade release. Hooray! Anyway I felt it was time to pick up the regular X, especially with the current low exchange rate, he only cost be $28, though I did get reamed on shipping because he came with Destiny's big ass.

   It was refreshing to open the box and not be overwhelmed by kit trees. I built the Destiny first, and all those parts made me curl up into the fetal position and sob many times. There's only 18 trees, four of which are for the satellite charger wings. This kit took me about 3 hours to bang out like a boss, and apply it's smexy decals.




  The double X is your basic 90s starter Gundam, Beam Saber ? check. Singly  Rifle ? Check. Some sort of backpack ? Double check. It's even mostly white, with some red, blue, and yellow to really make it pop. The design is largely unchanged though from the original, which is hit or miss. You either liked the Gundam X design or you didn't. I personally thought it was a bit meh, but I loved the Satellite Cannon. They did an amazing job on it, with their being shiny paper sandwiched between a clear piece of plastic and a white one. It looks so much better than the last rendition, which is close to 20 years old at this point.
Back in my day, things were poorly engineered. And we liked it!
    I'll give the Gundam X Master Grade kit a passing 7/10. It's a nice enough kit, but it's nothing special either. Though it's on the cheap side, so if you have a vague interest in it, pick it up while the Yen is low. I picked him up with Destiny Full Burst for under $100 including shipping, and they came in under 5 days. Thanks Plamoya.com!






No comments:

Post a Comment