Monday, February 9, 2015

Anime Con Round up!

I wrote these a long ass time ago, for something or other, and always meant to post them here. Now I am! They were part of a poorly planned millennial novel that i finished, but it was CRAP. I do like the cover though.



The first Anime convention I ever went to was in Erie, PA. It was about two hours away from my house, so I asked my brother to come. He had no reason not to, so we headed off in my purple hoopdi towards a new adventure. The convention was underwhelming, it was two rooms and a large hall showing really bad anime, and there were maybe 50 people there? They had no guests, and I was dressed up as a character wearing a heavy winter coat, in the middle of September.  To complicate matters, the coolant line on my car broke, and it leaked out all its anti-freeze. I ended up leaving it at a nearby mechanic, hoping he didn’t steal it, while my mom picked me up. It was such a pain, though I did meet one of my girlfriends there. I kept her on the back burner for quite some time.
            The next convention I went to was more enjoyable, it was in Columbus Ohio, and it was decently sized. My girlfriend at the time was supposed to go, but canceled last minute. I spent most of the time moping around my hotel room, buying random swag, and building models in my room. I didn’t really have any interests in the guests, but it still wasn’t bad. I hooked up with a girl I sort of knew there, sort of as revenge on my girlfriend for being such a cunt and ditching last minute. Always bring condoms kid, always.
            The next convention was one of the biggest on this side of the United States, in Baltimore, Maryland. The girl I hooked up with and I had become friends, and we drove together. I was stuck driving her PT Cruiser across three states, pretty embarrassing. Still the ride there acquainted me with my most beloved energy drink to this very day; Bawls. It used to be more widespread, but these days only Micro Center sells them, and it’s a half hour away. That shit’s horrible for you anyway.  We did have a lot of fun at the convention, there were some sweet guests and musical acts, my favorite part was hearing The Dragon Ball Z theme song live in Japanese, and sadly I didn’t get their autograph.  The line was too long. I did spend close to $1500 on the trip, most of it on collectible stuff in the dealer’s room.  Shit was an experience man. It was so cool to be on vacation hours away from my home.
            However on this trip, my friend began giving me the signs she was interested in me. I had a girlfriend at the time I honestly didn’t give a shit about, but I wasn’t interested in my friend like that either. She was telling me what parts of my personality I should change, trying to shape me into her ideal man. I don’t change though, and the hilarious part is she is currently married to a redneck that has kids in other states he neglected to mention, and tries to pick up women over Facebook. She even was knocked up by him twice, what a life!
            The next experience was a smaller convention in Columbus Ohio with Satan. Our relationship wasn’t shit quite yet, but it was close to the breaking point. She had been bothering me to do something for my birthday, and conveniently it fell on my birthday weekend. So we both took off work, and took the bus down to Columbus (I didn’t trust my car at the time.) It was a bunch of under aged kids running around being annoying, with six of them crammed in a room. The guests were mediocre, and Satan was annoying me.  The high point was buying surprise boxed figures and drinking energy drinks. Satan agreed it was mediocre, and we would never go again. Til she tried to convince me to go right before we were moving out, and were broke. I put my foot down on this one.
            My final experience of anime conventions (for now) Satan and I headed to Baltimore for a thoroughly awful experience. The ride there was painful, she didn’t have a license so I was stuck driving the entire way. It was at night, and she screamed at me anytime I went within 20 miles of the speed limit because “she was scared.” Then once we hit the freeway, she fell asleep. Anytime I asked her for directions, she’d scream at me for not knowing, because I had driven there once four years ago, and she was too busy staring at her four Facebook friends to check Google maps.  Anytime we got lost, she blamed me, despite her being in charge of navigation, since I was trying to drive in rush hour traffic on no sleep. I really wanted to leave her there; I came so close to it. The entire trip continued like that, her freaking out over everything, and me ditching her to do whatever I wanted. She made me feel awful when I tried to have fun; she sucked any joy out of the trip for me.  The con itself wasn’t much better.
            Since I had been there a few years prior, the attendance had exploded. There were lines EVERYWHERE! Even things you’d assume people would have no interest in had hundreds of people in line. Hell, to get to the room where you can buy things had a line an hour long. The worst part was a concert I attended, the concert itself was fine, but the organization was awful. Despite waiting for hours to get in, hoping being there early would get me an autograph, the powers that be decided to reward those who showed up late by starting the line for autographs in the back of the room. Fuck that, I’m never going back.  Satan admitted she hated it, but still wanted to return. What a dumb cunt she was.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment